- October 10, 2019
- Posted by: @webmaster
- Category: Economics, Uncategorized
The Central Government recently launched a web portal ‘PRAKASH’ (Power Rail Koyla Availability through Supply Harmony). The Portal is designed to help in mapping and monitoring entire coal supply chain for power plants.
The Portal aims at bringing better coordination for coal supplies among all stake holders i.e. Ministry of Power, Ministry of Coal, Coal India, Railways and power utilities. This is an important step in ensuring adequate availability and optimum utilization of coal at the power plants.
The Portal is developed by NTPC and it sources data from different stakeholders including Central Electrical Authority (CEA), Railways and coal companies. The data is presented in the form of graphical representation to make it more user-friendly.
Benefits and Advantages
The PRAKASH portal will be able to furnish the following information in a single platform:
- The Coal companies will now be able to keep a tab of the stocks and requirement of coal at the power stations for more effective production planning.
- Indian Railways will now get to know about actual coal available and the availability of coal at the power stations.
- It would prove very beneficial for the Power Stations as they can now plan their future schedules by knowing rakes in the pipeline and expected time to reach.
- The respective Union Ministries and other stakeholders can review overall availability of coal at different power plants across different regions of the country.
As per the present mechanism, a weekly meeting to review coal supply situation and railway logistics is held by an inter-ministerial group consisting of representatives from Ministries of Coal, Railways, power utilities and coal companies. Under such a setup, several issues were flagged including that of scattered information, correctness of data, timely data availability etc.
In order to sort out such issues, the government launched the PRAKASH portal to monitor the coal availability at the loading site and availability of coal at the power stations.