The Scheme of Examination:-
I. The Competitive Examination shall comprise as follows, namely:-
(I) Preliminary Examination
(ii) Mains Examination
(iii) Personality Test or Interview
- Candidates who will qualify in the. Preliminary Examination shall be called by the Commission, to appear in the Main Examination. The qualifying marks in the Preliminary Examination shall be such as may be fixed by the Commission. The marks obtained in the Preliminary Examination shall not be counted for ranking. The Main Examination shall comprise Odia-language, English, English Essay, General Studies-I & II papers, two optional subjects having two papers each as prescribed in Scheduled-III.
III. Candidates who obtain such minimum qualifying marks in the Main Examination as may be fixed by the Commission at their discretion shall be called for personality test. The personality test or interview shall carry 250 Marks and no minimum qualifying marks for personality test or interview shall be fixed.
Total marks thus obtained by the candidates in the written examination and personality test or interview would determine their ranking. Candidates shall be allotted to the various services keeping in view their ranks in the examination and the preferences indicated by them for various services.
SCHEDULE – III
Scheme and subjects for the Examination-
The Preliminary Examination shall consist of two papers of objective type (Multiple choice questions) and each paper shall be of two hours duration. –
|Paper – I General Studies||200 Marks|
|Paper – II General Studies||200 Marks|
PAPER – I
- Current events of National and International importance;
- History of India and Indian National Movement;
- India and World Geography-Physical, Social, Economic Geography of India and the World.
- Indian Polity and Governance-Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights Issues, etc.
- Economic and Social Development-sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector Initiatives, etc.
- General Issues on Environmental Ecology, Bio-diversity and Climate change that do not require subject specialization, and
- General Science.
- Interpersonal Skills including communication skills;
- Logical Reasoning and Analytic ability;
- Decision Making and Problem Solving;
- General Mental Ability;
- Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude) (Class-X level). Data Interpretation (Charts, Graphs, Tables, Data Sufficiency etc. – Class -X level); and
- English Language Comprehension Skills (Class-X level).
1 (B). Main Examination –
The Main Examination shall consist of the following papers and each paper shall be of three hours duration.
Compulsory papers – 1400 marks
|Paper – I Odia Language||300 Marks|
|Paper – II English||300 Marks|
|Paper – III English Essay||200 Marks|
|Paper – IV General Studies-I||300 Marks|
|Paper – V General Studies-II||300 Marks|
|Optional Pagers – (Paper VI, VII, VIII & IX)||1200 Marks|
Two subjects to be selected from the list of Optional subjects set out below. Each subject will have two papers and each paper carrying 300 marks.
OPSC Civil Services Mains Syllabus – Odia Language
- Precis writing.
- Translation from English to Odia.
- Essay Writing.
- Expansion of an idea etc.
OPSC Civil Services Mains Syllabus – English
- Translation from Odia to English.
- Precis writing
- Essay Writing.
- Expansion of an idea etc.
OPSC Civil Services Mains Syllabus – General Studies I
- History of Modern India and Indian Culture.
- Geography of India.
- Indian Polity.
- Constitution of India.
- Current National issues.
- Human Resource Development.
- Social issues and Social Welfare problems.
- Legal and Environmental issues.
- Ecological issues.
- Role of National Institutions.
OPSC Civil Services Mains Syllabus – General Studies II
- India and the World.
- Foreign Affairs.
- External Security.
- Indian Economy.
- International Affairs.
- International Institutions.
- Science & Technology.
- Space Technology.
- Statistical Analysis.
1(C). Personality Test or Interview
Personality Test or Interview shall carry … 250 Marks
2. LIST OF OPTIONAL SUBJECTS FOR MAIN EXAMINATION
- Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science
- Agricultural Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Commerce & Accountancy Economics
- Electrical Engineering
- Fisheries Science
- Home Science
- Indian Language & Literature (any one) (a) Odia, (b) Hindi, (c) Sanskrit, (d) English, (e) Persian, (f) Urdu.
- Mechanical Engineering
- Political Science & International Relations
- Public Administration
Note (I) -The candidates must opt for two optional subjects for Main Examination in the respective Box of the online application. Request for change of Optional Subjects will not be entertained.
(II) Candidates shall not be allowed to opt for the following combinations of optional subjects.
a) Odia, Hindi, Persian, Sanskrit, Urdu, English
b) Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Agricultural Engineering.
c) Mathematics & Statistics
d) Anthropology & Sociology
e) Political Science & International Relations and Public Administration.
f) Commerce & Accountancy and Management.
g) Agriculture and Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science.
h) Management and Public Administration.
i) Education and Psychology.
k) Agriculture and Agricultural Engineering.
(III) Each of the Papers i.e. Paper-I (Odia language) and Paper-II (English) will be of Matriculation standard and shall be qualifying in nature. The marks obtained in these two papers shall not be counted for ranking.
(IV) The papers on Essay, General Studies and Optional Subjects of only those candidates shall be evaluated who attain such minimum standard as may be fixed by the Commission at their discretion for the qualifying papers in Odia Language and English.
4. Personality Test/Interview –
The candidate shall be interviewed by a Board to be constituted by the O.P.S.C. for the purpose. The said Board will have before them a record of his career. He will be asked questions on matters of general interest. The object of the interview will be to assess the personal suitability of the candidate for a career in public service. The object of test shall be to judge the mental caliber of a candidate, his intellectual qualities as well as social traits and his interest in current affairs. Further some of the qualifies (to be judged will be) like mental alertness, critical powers of assimilation, clear and logical exposition, balance of judgment, variety and depth of interest, ability for social cohesion and leadership, intellectual and moral integrity, are to be judged by the said Board.