- February 4, 2019
- Posted by: @webmaster
- Category: Current Affairs News
Rishi Kumar Shukla appointed as new CBI director
Rishi Kumar Shukla, 1983 batch IPS officer of Madhya Pradesh cadre, was appointed as the new chief of the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on February 2, 2019. Mr. Shukla will be serving for a fixed term of two years.
- Shukla’s appointment to the post was approved by a high-level committee chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- The IPS officer has formerly served as the DGP of Madhya Pradesh.
- His name was short-listed during the second meeting of the selection committee on February 1.
- He had been freshly reassigned from the post of Director General of Madhya Pradesh Police to the police housing corporation.
World Cancer Day 2019 observed across the world
On February 4, 2019, with an objective to unite the world’s population for the fight against cancer, The World Cancer Day 2019 was observed across the world.
- The day is observed every year toraise awareness and education about the disease, to save millions of preventable deaths.
- A new 3-year campaign with the theme “I Am and I Will” was launched by The Union for International Cancer Control.
- The campaign is started with the sole aim to represent the power of individual action to impact the future.
- Cancer is the second foremost cause of death globally, and was accountable for 9.6 million deaths in the past year.
Ladakh now connected to National Grid; Srinagar-Alusteng-Drass-Kargil-Leh Transmission Line launched
To ensure quality power supply to Ladakh region of Jammu & Kashmir round the year, on February 3, 2019, Prime Minister Narendra Modi dedicated the 220 kV Srinagar- Alusteng – Drass- Kargil – Leh Transmission System to the nation.
- Ladakh now stands connected to the National Grid.
- It will improve the tourism sector and develop the socio-economic progress of Ladakh.
- It is a lead project of the Union Government under the Prime Minister’s Reconstruction Plan (PMRP)
- It was intended to increase reliability and quality of power supply in Ladakh region of Jammu & Kashmir.
US withdraws out of Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces pact with Russia
United States will withdraw from the three-decade-old Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces (INF) pact, US President Donald Trump announced on February 1, 2019. The pact was signed with Russia during the Cold War.
- Trump announced that the US will suspend its obligations on February 2, 2019
- He stated that the US will exit the treaty in six months
- If Russia doesn’t comply by destroying all of its violating warheads
- He asked all the parties must faithfully implement their obligations for effective arms control