Exam Specific Current Affairs for UPSC Aspirants 7 February 2019
Union Cabinet approves MoU between India, Finland in the field of Biotechnology
On February 6, 2019, Union Cabinet, which is chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, approved the MoU between India and Finlandcollaborationbased on mutual interest in the field of Biotechnology, where both the country will be funding and executing aspiring industry-led transnational and innovative projects within the broad scope of innovation and research & development.
- By funding need-oriented, ambitious joint projects of high international standards, the two countries target to help reach world-class innovations beneficial to both countries.
- The agreement will strengthen cooperative network for innovation between Indian and Finnish organizations.
- It will also enable knowledge generation and sharing of ideas amongresearchers, scientists and industry in the two countries.
Swachh Bharat Mission launches ‘Darwaza Band – Part 2
On February 6, 2019, the campaign ‘Darwaza Band -Part 2’ was launched by the Swachh Bharat Mission for the Open Defecation Free (ODF) sustainability in the villages across the country. The campaign was launched in the presence of actor Amitabh Bachchan, Secretary of Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation Parameswaran Iyer, Maharashtra’s Minister for Water Supply and Sanitation BabanraoLonikar, and other dignitaries in Mumbai.
- The campaign was created by the Union Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation.
- World Bank supports the campaign ‘Darwaza Band -Part 2’ and the campaign will be implemented countrywide.
- Actor Amitabh Bachchan has launched 3 films on the campaign in various regional languages.
Cabinet approves setting up of Rashtriya Kamdhenu Aayog for cows
A proposal has been approved by the Union Cabinet and Prime Minister Narendra Modi for protection, conservation and development of cows and their progeny by an establishment called Rashtriya Kamdhenu Aayog.
- The establishment of Rashtriya Kamdhenu Aayog will be effective in the case of conservation, protection and development of cattle population in the country.
- It will lead to setting up a policy framework and directives for cow conservation and development programmes in the country.
- Proper growth in the livestock sector can be expected with the Rashtriya Kamdhenu Aayog establishment in place.
Cabinet approves proposal for higher power allocation to Telangana, Jharkhand
Prime Minister Narendra Modi chaired Union Cabinet approved the proposal of the Ministry of Power to distribute 85 per cent power from Telangana Super Thermal Power Project (4000MW) of NTPC Ltd to the Telangana government on February 6, 2019.
- The Telangana Super Thermal Power Project and Patratu Super Thermal Power Station will come up at Ramagundam in Peddapalli district and Ramgarh district of Jharkhand respectively.
- The first phase of the TSTPP will comprise two units of 800 MW each and second phase for three units of 800 MW each.
- The Patratu Thermal Power Station (PTPS) will comprise three units of 800 MW each in the first phase while two units 800 MW each in the second phase