- November 19, 2019
- Posted by: @webmaster
- Category: Current Affairs News
The Union Minister for women and Child Development, Smruti Zubin Irani in cooperation with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation has officially launched the Bharatiya Poshan Krishi Kosh (BPKK). The project is earmarked to be a repository of diverse crops across 128 agro-climatic zones in India for better nutritional outcomes.
The Repository is aimed to reduce malnutrition through multi-sectoral results-based framework which includes agriculture, among women and children across the country. It also aims to promote primary dietary practices.
This in line with the launch of POSHAN Abhiyaan in 2018, the Prime Minister’s Overarching Scheme for Holistic Nutrition to reduce malnutrition through a multi-sectoral results-based framework, offers India an opportunity to reduce malnutrition. The Mission aims at targeted reduction of stunting, undernutrition, anemia and low birth weight babies. A novel feature of the POSHAN Abhiyaan is its focus on social and behavioral change among parents and for improving linkages between communities and the health systems towards paving the way for a mass movement to promote a transformative change.
- As a part of collaboration for the project, 12 states will be selected where a local partner organization having relevant work experience in the Social and Behavior Change Communication (SBCC) and nutrition for developing the food atlas, will be appointed in each of these states.
- The ‘Father of Green Revolution in India’ Dr. M.S Swaminathan launched a 5-point action plan aimed at making India nutrition secure under the aegis of this very programme. The 5-point plan includes:
- Ensuring calorie-rich diet to women and children.
- Ensuring high –diet protein
- Eradicating hidden hunger by deficiency of micro-nutrients.
- Ensuring clean drinking water supply and
- Spreading nutrition literacy across the country.
About Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, previously the William H. Gates Foundation, is an American private foundation founded by Bill and Melinda Gates. Based in Seattle, Washington, it was launched in 2000 and is reported to be the largest private foundation in the world, holding $50.7 billion in assets.
Guided by the belief that every life has equal value, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation works to help all people lead healthy, productive lives. In developing countries, it focuses on improving people’s health and giving them the chance to lift themselves out of hunger and extreme poverty.
SOURCE: PIB, wcd.nic.in