- November 6, 2018
- Posted by: @webmaster
- Category: Current Affair 2018
On 5th November, 2018 , Prime Minister Narendra Modi pronounced that submarine INS Arihant, India’s first indigenous nuclear submarine, has effectively accomplished its “first deterrence patrol”.
A ballistic missile submarine is a strategic asset as it can fire city-destroying missiles from anywhere in the ocean and remain undetected for a long time. It can sneak closer to the coast of an enemy nation and fire ballistic missiles deep into their territory, which otherwise cannot be reached by land-based short-range ballistic missiles.
“In an era such as this, a credible nuclear deterrence is the need of the hour. The success of INS Arihant gives a fitting response to those who indulge in nuclear blackmail,” he said.
- INS Arihant, which weighs about 6,000-tonne, was under development under an acutely classified project from about 3 decades. The project was under the direct grasp of the Nuclear Command Authority: regulated by the prime minister himself.
- INS Arihant is considered as an effusively functional underwater ballistic missile delivery platform after the effective accomplishment of its “deterrence patrol”.
- It can fire city-destroying missiles from anywhere in the ocean and cannot be detected easily, which makes it a strategic asset.
- It can easily get closer to the coast of enemy country and fire log range missile to strike deep in to the territory, which was impossible before with long based short ranged missiles.