- October 18, 2019
- Posted by: @webmaster
- Category: Current Affairs News
The India Innovation Index for the year 2019 was released by country’s apex planning body i.e. NITI Aayog in collaboration with the ‘Institute for Competitiveness’ as the knowledge partner. The Index was released in the presence of NITI Aayog Vice-Chairman, Dr. Rajiv Kumar and CEO Amitabh Kant.
In the words of Dr. Rajiv Kumar, “the Indian Innovation Index would create synergies between different stakeholders in the innovation ecosystem and India would shift to competitive good governance”. Amitabh Kant insisted on the fact that, “India has a unique opportunity among its myriad challenges to become the innovation leader in the world”.
The study examines the innovation ecosystem of Indian states and union territories. The aim is to create a holistic tool which can be used by policymakers across the country to identify the challenges to be addressed and strengths to build on when designing the economic growth policies for their regions. The states have been bifurcated into three categories: major states, north-east, and hill states, and union territories/city states/small states.
Key Highlights of the Index
- As per the Index, Karnataka has been ranked as the most innovative state of the country followed by Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra, Telangana, Haryana, Kerala , Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal and Andhra Pradesh respectively from the remaining top ten major states.
- Sikkim and Delhi take the top spots among the north-eastern and hill states, and union territories respectively. In addition, Delhi, Karnataka, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, Telangana and Uttar Pradesh are the most efficient states in translating inputs into output.
- The index shows that the innovation ecosystem of the country is strong in south and western parts of India. In fact, three of the top five major states are from southern India. Delhi and Haryana seem to be an exception to this rule and seem to be doing well on the Index. Thus, there seems to be a west-south and north-east divide across the country.
About the Index
The Indian Innovation study is an outcome of extensive research and analysis, which looks holistically at the innovation landscape of India by examining the innovation capabilities and performance of Indian states and union territories. The aim is to create a holistic tool which can be used by policymakers across the country to identify the challenges to be addressed and strengths to build on when designing the economic growth policies for their regions.
The India Innovation Index 2019 is calculated as the average of the scores of its two dimensions – Enablers and Performance. The Enablers are the factors that underpin innovative capacities, grouped in five pillars:
- Human Capital
- Knowledge Workers
- Business Environment
- Safety and Legal Environment.
The index presents the latest findings and highlights the regional catalysts and caveats for promoting innovation readiness. The Report offers a comprehensive snapshot of the innovation ecosystem of 29 states and seven union territories. It also includes a section on state profiles covering 33 indicators looking at the different facets of innovation in India.