- March 6, 2019
- Posted by: @webmaster
- Category: Current Affairs News
Smart fencing by Home Ministry on Indo-Bangladesh border to deter illegal infiltration
On March 5, 2019, the Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh launched smart fencing along the Indo-Bangladesh border in Dhubri district of Assam under the Comprehensive Integrated Border Management System. This smart fencing will deter illegal infiltration.
- As it was not possible to construct normal border fencing, The smart fencing project BOLD-QIT (Border Electronically Dominated QRT Interception Technique) has been used in in Dhubri along the riverine border.
- The 61 km of border area in Dhubri has innumerable river channels, making it difficult to guard the border in Rainy season.
Supreme Court reserves verdict on mediation in Ayodhya land dispute case
The Supreme Court of India reserves verdict on resolving the old Ayodhya land dispute case by court-monitored arbitration. Thinking on the matter, the five-judge constitution bench appeared divided on whether arbitration between the disagreeing parties was the best way to solve the decades-old dispute.
Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi was heading the bench and asked the petitioners to suggest names for a “mediator or panel of mediators” and said “we intend to pass the order very shortly”.
Uttarakhand Disaster Recovery Project: India, World Bank sign USD 96 million loan for financing project
Central Government, Uttarakhand Government and the World Bank signed a three-party loan agreement Bank for additional financial assistance of USD 96 million for the Uttarakhand Disaster Recovery Project.
- Reconstruction of bridges, road and river bank protection works will be done with the additional financing of $96 million.
- The financial assistance will be used to build several training facility for the State Disaster Response Force (SDRF).
France reiterates support for India’s permanent seat in UN Security Council
France has reiterated its support for India as the permanent member of the powerful UN body. The nation holds the Presidency of the United Nations Security Council for the month of March, also reiterated its support for Germany and Japan as permanent members of an expanded UNSC.
- France has specified that the strategy to UN reform is through, the openness of the Security Council that entails expansion of the 15-nation body, openness to civil society and partnership.
- The next Presidency of the Security Council would be taken over by Germany in April 2019.