- November 26, 2019
- Posted by: @webmaster
- Category: Current Affairs News
In a first, the Delhi assembly became the first one in India to host the 10th Commonwealth Youth Parliament from 25th-27th November. The Delhi assembly along with the Lok Sabha is striving to make the event a successful one.
47 Participants from 24 countries including 11 from India are taking part in the event. Mock assembly sessions will be held in the house of the Delhi Legislative Assembly. The participants, in the age group of 18-29 years, include students, parliamentary officers and young leaders.
It is for the first time that and Indian Legislature is hosting the Commonwealth Youth Parliament and the event has garnered a lot of interest and buzz amongst the youth. The Lok Sabha Speaker, Om Birla is the Chief Guest at the event. The event is being organized to enlighten the youth about the legislative processes and encourage their participation in legislative procedures and decision-making.
The Commonwealth Youth Parliament will be an opportunity to demonstrate to the youth the role of and purpose of legislature as an institution for democracy and good governance, as stated by Ram Niwas Goel, the Speaker of Delhi Assembly.
About Commonwealth Youth Parliament
- The Commonwealth Youth Parliament is an annual gathering hosted by the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association (CPA). It brings together young people aged 18–29 from across the Commonwealth of Nations to discuss issues of democracy and governance.
- The Commonwealth Parliamentary Association (CPA), previously known as the Empire Parliamentary Association, is an organization which works to support good governance, democracy and human rights.
- Each member parliament of the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association has the opportunity to nominate up to two delegates to attend the Commonwealth Youth Parliament. The Commonwealth Youth Parliament rotates annually through the nine regions of the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association.
- The 9th Commonwealth Youth Parliament was hosted by the States of Jersey in 2018.
SOURCE: The Times India