Exam Specific News (In Short) 19/03/2019
Cyclone Idai: Over 1000 people estimated to be dead in Mozambique Cyclone
Cyclone Idai, the tropical storm has ravaged southern Africa and is reported as the worst weather-related disaster to hit the southern hemisphere, affecting 1.7 million in Mozambique and 920,000 in Malawi, UN officials have said.
- More than 100,000 people are affected and 84 deaths have been registered officially.
- A central Mozambique city named Beira was the center of the Cyclone Idai.
- 217 people are reportedly missing.
President Kovind confers Gallantry Awards and Distinguished Service Decorations
On March 19, 2019, at the Defence Investiture Ceremony, President Ram Nath Kovind conferred the Gallantry Awards and Distinguished Service Decorations, at Rashtrapati Bhavan, New Delhi.
‘Kirti Chakras’ were conferred to Sepoy Vijay Kumar of Indian Army and Constable Pradip Kumar Panda of CRPF, both posthumously and Uttam Yudh Seva Medal was presented to Lieutenant General Anil Kumar Bhatt for successful counter-terrorist operations.
Priyanka Chopra in the List of Most Powerful Women joins Oprah Winfrey, Meryl Streep in USA Today’s list.
Actress Priyanka Chopra Jonas has been listed in the “50 Most Powerful Women in Entertainment” of the USA Today with otherinternational celebrities like Oprah Winfrey and Meryl Streep.
The “50 Most Powerful Women in Entertainment” list also features Nicole Kidman, Ellen DeGeneres, Jennifer Lopez, Jennifer Lawrence and many others.
- Chopra’s lead role as Alex Parrish in drama thriller series of USA “Quantico” made her a global icon.
- She has debuted in Hollywood opposite of Zac Efron and Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson in the movie Baywatch in September 2017.
Africa-India Field Training Exercise-2019 (AFINDEX-19) begins
The Africa-India Field Training Exercise 2019 (AFINDEX-19) began at Aundh Military Station, Pune on March 18, 2019. The exercise will end on March 27, 2019.
- The exercise will emphasis on exchange of best practices between the participating nations, tactical level operations and team building in conduct of United Nations directive.
- The 17 participating African states include Benin, Botswana, Egypt, Ghana, Kenya, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, South Africa, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, and Zimbabwe, according to a statement by Lt. Col. Mohit Vaishnava, an Indian Army public relations officer.