Exam Specific News (In Short) 15/03/2019
India, US to set up six nuclear power plants in India
In an effort to improve bilateral civil nuclear energy cooperation between India and the United States, an agreement has been signed to build six American nuclear power plants in India
The two nations agreed on the same and issued a joint statement at the end of 9th round of India-US Strategic Security Discussion, organized in Washington DC on March 13, 2019. The discussion was co-chaired by Andrea Thompson, the US undersecretary of state for arms control and international security and Foreign Secretary Vijay Gokhale, who had led the Indian delegation.
- During the discussion, both the countries exchanged concern over non-proliferation and global security challenges.
- USA reaffirmed its support for India’s membership in the 48-member Nuclear Suppliers Group.
New Zealand Mosque Attacks: At least 49 people killed so far
In a tragic attack in the history of Pacific country, a Gunman killed at least 49 people and has injured over 20 people at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand. Linwood Islamic Centre in suburban Linwood and Al Noor Mosque in central Christchurch, both were attacked.
- From the shooting sites in both the mosques, several firearms and 2 IED devices were recovered, one of which was inactive.
- Leaders from countries like Australia, Indonesia, Afghanistan, Turkey and Pakistan condemned the attack. The cricket team of Bangladesh was present in the Mosque, when the first shot was fired; the whole team was safely evacuated from the site.
Deadly West Nile Virus Found in Kerala
As per the reports by different Medias, West Nile Virus Found in a seven year old boy in Malappuram District of Kerala. West Nile Virus (WNV) is a mosquito-borne disease, mostly found in continental United States. A team of from the National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has been dispatched to Kerala to monitor the condition.
- World Health Organisation (WHO) reports West Nile Virus as a member of the flavivirus genus and belongs to the family Flaviviridae.
- The virus finds its way to human through mosquito, who are infected with West Nile Virus.
- The virus spreads through breast feeding from mother to baby, organ transplant, blood transfusion. However, there has been no report yet about the spreading of virus through touch, sneezing or coughing and eating the infectious bird.
RBI categorises IDBI Bank as Private Sector Bank
On March 14, 2019, The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) put IDBI Bank Limited to the category ‘Private Sector Bank’ for controlling purposes with effect from January 21, 2019.
The decision was made following the move of Life Insurance Corporation of India’s acquisition of 51 percent of the total paid-up equity share capital of the IDBI bank.