Exam Specific Current Affairs: 16 Apr 2019
Cabinet approves continuation of GSLV Programme – Phase 4
On 16th April, 2019, the Union Cabinet, chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi sanctioned the continuation of Phase 4 of the Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle (GSLV) programme.
- The GSLV Programme – Phase 4 will make it possible to launch 2 ton class of satellites for Navigation, Geo-imaging, space sciences and data relay communication Sciences into the Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit (GTO).
- It will cater to the necessitiesof satellites for relaying important Satellite Navigation Services and Data Relay Communication that can support Indian Human spaceflight programme ‘Gaganyaan’ and upcoming interplanetary manned missions.
“NIRBHAY” Cruise Missile successfully test fired
On 15th April 2019, the Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) has successfully test fired “Nirbhay”, an indigenously designed Long Range Sub-Sonic Cruise Missile, from the Integrated Test Range (ITR), Chandipur, Odisha.
- DRDO has developed the missile at its aeronautics R&D laboratory ADE (Aeronautical Development Establishment) based in Bengaluru.
- Nirbhay is capable to linger and cruise at 0.7 Mach at altitudes as low as 100 m.
ICC World Cup 2019: Indian squad announced
On 15thApril 2019, Indian team for the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 was announced by Indian selectors. The cricket world cup is scheduled to begin in England and Wales from May 30, 2019. Amitabh Choudhary, the BCCI Acting Honorary Secretary in Mumbai announced the name of the team members in presence of Chairman of Selectors, MSK Prasad.
The names of team members for ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 are as follows
Virat Kohli (C), Rohit Sharma (VC), Shikhar Dhawan, KL Rahul, Vijay Shankar, MS Dhoni (WK), Kedar Jadhav, Dinesh Karthik, Yuzvendra Chahal, Kuldeep Yadav, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Jasprit Bumrah, Hardik Pandya, Ravindra Jadeja, Mohammed Shami.
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas swears in New Government
Mahmoud Abbas, the Palestinian President on 13th April 2019 sworn in a new government headed by Mohammad Shtayyeh, a long-time ally from his Fatah party.
- The new government was formed following the resignation of former Prime Minister Rami Hamdallah in January 2019.
- Rami Hamdallah resigned due to the failure of reconciliation talks between Fatah party and Hamas.