- February 16, 2019
- Posted by: @webmaster
- Category: Current Affairs News
Sushil Chandra appointed as new Election Commissioner
On 15th February 2019, Sushil Chandra appointed as the new Election Commissioner (EC) of India. Election Commissioner Ashok Lavasa and Chief Election Commissioner Sunil Arora will be working along with him in the Election Commission.
- He was born on May 15 1957 and is a 1980 batch Indian Revenue Service Officer.
- He is an alumnus of Roorkee University and DAV College, Dehradun.
India liberalised e-visa regime, makes it more tourist friendly
With the aim to liberalize the country and making it tourist friendly, the Union Tourism Ministry recently made a series of amendments in India’s e-visa regime. In September 2014, the e-tourist Visa was launched for 46 countries, now it’s available for 166 countries.
- E-visa will be effective for entry through 2 two more selected airports such as Bhubaneswar and Port Blair, raising the total number of such airports to 28.
- People attending a destination wedding in India can do so under normal e-tourist visa or tourist visa, without applying for a separate destination wedding VISA.
India withdraws Most Favoured Nation status accorded to Pakistan
Following the Pulwama terror attack in Jammu and Kashmir on 14th February 2019, India has withdrawn the ‘Most-Favoured Nation’ status accorded to Pakistan. The terror attack has led to the killing of 44 CRPF Jawans and injuring of many others.
- Under WTO’s General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (GATT), the most favoured nation (MFN) status was accorded to Pakistan in 1996.
- Both India and Pakistan are parties to this which means they have to treat each other and rest of WTO member countries as favoured trading partners.